Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Week in the life of the Murphys

Over the last 18 months we have often been asked "what is a typical day like for you?" or "What is a typical week like?" all too often these have been almost impossible questions to answer so recently I thought it might be worthwhile to try and remember some of the things we have done over the past week or so and put them down in the form of a diary, so here goes!:
Sunday 19th October
Once again an early start, no sleeping in with Joel around, although we were able to lie on in bed until 7am, so that was a little lazy compared to our normal start to the day!

Like most Sunday mornings we managed to get up and out for a walk along the seafront with the kids before coffee time and then church. We then headed up to La Pampa for church at 11am.

We arrived back home from church and I (Dave) managed to shovel my dinner down before heading out to Ite to oversee the Mision Rescate Team as they took responsibility for Sunday School. Following Sunday School the team also took the evening service. Both services were encouraging and over 50 children turned up for Sunday School.

After this I left the team back at the Camp Centre and had a short meeting with them before driving home and jumping into bed. As I arrived home I found Alicia just as tired as me after looking after the kids all afternoon as well as entertaining a couple of unexpected visitors (Since Joel's birth Alicia has not really been able to attend the Sunday evening services as it is over too late and does not suit feeding times or bed times for the kids).


Monday 20th October

Monday always seems to be a rush to get ready and it always seems to be the day that Sarah is in the least of a rush! We manage to get her up and dressed into her full uniform of blazer and skirt, fed and off to school by 8.30am. Alicia headed off to the market to get some groceries and I headed out to take the dog a brisk walk before our customary prayer meeting with the Morrows. After the meeting which normally takes most of the morning Alicia started preparing some lunch while I headed into the town to get some supplies for the Mision Rescate Team arriving back home just in time to collect Sarah from school at 1pm.

After lunch Alicia and I, with the kids head out to Ite to catch up with the team and see how they are getting on with their preparations for meetings. We spent most of the afternoon in Ite and arrive home in time to get a late tea and get the kids ready for bed.

Tuesday 21st October

Today starts like most other days and I manage to give the dog a good long walk before coming back and putting the finishing touches to the Bible Study I had prepared for Ite. Most Tuesdays I head out to Ite mid afternoon so that I can spend time with the Team before the meeting and also try and visit in the village just before the meeting starts to remind people.

This week it is refreshing as although I had to share the Team take responsibility for leading and for the music and so I just share and lead the prayer time. After the meeting I leave the team back at the centre de-brief with them and then head home to Alicia to see how her afternoon has been with the kids.

Wednesday 22nd October

Wednesdays have proved to be the most hectic days because in October I have been leaving the house at 8am, this has left Alicia with Joel and preparing Sarah for school alone. Each Wednesday I have collected Pastor Mario from the Ilo church and taken him to Ite to teach the team on evangelism, while another believer from the church; Freddy has been teaching some Spanish. During these lessons I have tried to use the time to catch up on paperwork and my general planning.

I arrived home from this in time for a late lunch and then a relatively free afternoon. Since alot of my time out is in the afternoon and the evening I try to set aside at least one afternoon a week to spend with the kids. Today we went out onto the grass at the seafront and flew Sarah's new kite. We enjoyed a great afternoon before heading back home, getting tea ready and the children bathed and off to bed.

Thursday 23rd October

Each Thursday everyone involved in the ministry at the camp centre meet for a time of planning, sharing and prayer. While I head out to this Alicia stays at home with Joel and has a Spanish conversation class with a lady from Ilo.

I arrive back mid afternoon and enjoy my lunch before preparing something for the youth meeting on Friday night.

Friday 24th October

Today is the big day. I have planned to do my driving test. Since arriving in Peru I have been using an international licence but decided it was time to get a Peruvian one. I had passed the medical, psychological and psychosimatic test a few weeks earlier and the theory test the previous week. Everything seemed a bit strange and didnt really relate to driving for example in one test I had to name 4 large cities, 4 types of fish and know at what time of the day my shadow would be the shortest (I didn't tell them I was from Northern Ireland and so we don't have shadows!) Last Friday afternoon I had attempted the driving test which involved a grand total of two parking manouevres in a large car park, I failed. The first manouevre was parallel parking into a space 1 metre longer than the length of the car and the second was to reverse park the car (diagonally) for a starting position of a right angle from the space. The area you must fit into is 2m 20cm; 40 cm wider than the car (not including the mirrors)in three moves with the second move being the edge forward 1m, it was on this that I failed the previous week.

After making a longer than expected visit to the travel agent to price flights home for our deputation I headed out with my friend Freddy to practice parking. After some practice and a quick lunch I head up to the testing area for the 2.30 start time. After waiting an hour the examiners arrive. I was one of six candidates for the test and after the first manouevre the group is reduced to myself and one other. Eventually we come to the second manouevre and this time the practice has paid off, I get the test and my friend reminds me it is one more step towards being Peruvian. I don't really care about that, I am just relieved to have passed what seemed like the strangest driving test I have ever seen. Not once did we drive in traffic and we barely drove in forward gears!

As I drew sighed with relief I rushed home to collect my stuff before heading out to the young peoples meeting in Ite. I quickly greet and say goodbye to Alicia, Joel and Sarah. I have hardly seen them all day and Joel has been a little off form with his teeth coming through, I feel bad for abandoning them but head off. We have a good meeting with the young people, they are given an open time to ask questions about God and I try to answer some of their deep questions. Many of them seem to be searching. After the meeting we stand around and have a chat before I once again head back home.

Saturday 25th October

Today we get to relax a little. After get ourselves together Alicia heads out to the market with Sarah while I mind Joel. We enjoy coffee and preparing some meat for a BBQ at lunch time. The temperature is 25 degrees so we enjoy a good bit of the afternoon after our BBQ on the patio roof. Later on we head out to the grass to fly Sarah's kite once again. As Joel sits in his pram his sits fascinated with the colours of the kite. We head back in again in time for a pancake tea and get the kids ready for bed.


3 comments:

Stephen Russell said...

I often wonder exactly what you are doing throughout the week - this is really helpful. I often would focus my prayer especially on a Sunday am that you guys would have a day that is restful and spiritually uplifting. God bless - make sure you leave time for each other and the two children in the midst of this busy schedule!
Stephen

Unknown said...

We really appreciate your prayers Stephen, we had been thinking about the type of things that we do and the procedures we have to go through to get them done and thought that probably many people did not realise what kind of things we were doing throughout the week. I was thinking that maybe I should give a weekly update on a more regulare basis since no two weeks are the same.

Family Blogs said...

Hi Folks,
Giving us all an insight into your week is a great idea. Congratulations on passing your driving test Dave...do you charge much for lessons?????
Keeping you in prayer as a family, and looking forward to face to face fellowship in the near future
God bless,
A, C & G